Over the years, RVs have become more and more popular. RVIA research shows that more than 11 million Americans own an RV. That's because they offer a great way to travel and see the country. One of the most important features of an RV is the air conditioner. The air conditioner helps to keep the RV cool in hot weather.
There are different types of RV air conditioners on the market. Some are more powerful than others.
An 18000 BTU RV air conditioner is a great choice for those who want to cool down their RV on hot days. This type of air conditioner is powerful enough to cool an RV that is up to 18 feet long. It is also a good choice for those who have a heavy RV.
Are you considering purchasing one? If so, then you will want to consider the following factors.
What Does BTU Mean
First, let's start with the biggest question on everyone's mind: What does BTU mean? BTU stands for British Thermal Units. It is a unit of measurement that is used to measure the amount of heat that is required to raise or lower the temperature of one pound of water by one degree Fahrenheit.
In other words, the higher the BTU, the more powerful the air conditioner. If you own a larger RV, you're going to need a stronger air conditioning unit – as simple as that. One BTU is equivalent to about 0.293 watts.
What Do Different BTUs Represent
Now that you know what BTU means, it's time to learn about the different types of air conditioners that are available on the market. The most common types are:
- 9000 BTU AC: This is a small, lightweight AC unit. It's pretty portable and works perfectly in RVs with little space to spare. It can cover 150 square feet of space.
- 13500 BTU AC: For RVs with more than 150 square feet of space, you're going to need something stronger, like a 13,500 BTU model.
- 15000 BTU AC: This is probably the most common size because it can handle most weather conditions and RV sizes.
- 18000 BTU AC: If you own a larger camper, you need at least an 18K BTU AC to distribute the cold air equally throughout the space.
Who is the 18000 BTU RV Air Conditioner Best For
The 18000 BTU RV air conditioner is best for those who own a larger RV. If you have an RV that is more than 18 feet long, then this type of air conditioner will be able to cool it down quickly and efficiently.
Who is the 18000 BTU RV AC best for? Here are a few things to consider:
- The size of your RV: If you have a larger RV, then you're going to need a more powerful air conditioner. A power of 18000 BTU best works for RVs between 550 and 1000 square feet big.
- The climate you live in: For people who live in hot climates, a more powerful AC is simply a must. The 18000 BTU AC is powerful enough to keep a large RV even during the summer.
- The climate you'll be traveling to: Where are you planning on taking your RV? If you're going to be traveling to hot climates, then you'll need an AC unit that can handle the heat.
Top RV Air Conditioner Brands
When it comes to choosing an RV air conditioner, you want to make sure you choose a brand that is known for quality and durability. There are a few brands that stand out from the rest.
- LG: The South Korean brands don't need any introduction. It's known for its innovative and high-quality products and there's a good chance some of you reading own an LG TV. They're also known for their quality ACs in the RV world.
- Amana: Amana is an American brand that has been around for more than 80 years. The parent company of Amana has recently invested more than $400 million in a new modern facility outside of Huston, TX. They're known for their top-performing ACs that are not only reliable but environmentally friendly too.
- OLMO: Olmo is a trusted producer of HVAC equipment. The company is the owner of the largest HVAC manufacturing factory in the world and its products have been sold to more than 17 million customers in 150 different countries around the globe.
What to Consider When Getting an RV AC
When you're shopping for an RV air conditioner, there are a few things you need to take into consideration. Here are a few of the most important factors:
- Ducted or Non-Ducted: The first thing you need to decide is whether you want a ducted or non-ducted AC unit. Ducted AC units are more expensive, but they're also more powerful and will cool down your RV more quickly.
- BTUs (British Thermal Units): Of course, you need to consider BTUs as well. As we mentioned before, if you need a powerful AC, just look for a higher BTU unit.
- How Easy It Is to Install: Some AC units are easier to install than others. If you're not handy, then you might want to choose an AC unit that is easy to install.
Top 18000 BTU RV Air Conditioners
Now that you know what an 18000 BTU RV AC is, what to look for in one, and what are the best manufacturers, now it's time to see what you've come for – the best air conditioners.
Without further ado, here are our top three picks for the best 18000 BTU RV air conditioners:
1. LG 18000 BTU 230V
Are you getting ready for the blistering hot weather conditions? Do you want to travel but you still want to be as comfortable as possible? Then, you need to get a powerful AC, because we'll be dealing with record-breaking temperatures this summer.
But don't worry, the LG 230V is the perfect choice for you. It's been built to cool down rooms up to 1000 square feet. That means, once you turn the AC on, you'll be able to keep your entire trailer cool. The unit has an inverter which makes it more energy-efficient than other models and will save you some money on power.
What's more, due to its Energy Star certification requirements, the AC is 25% more energy efficient. To sum up: the LG 18000 BTU will deliver optimal cooling action while allowing you to save on energy. If you want to keep your RV cool without breaking the bank, then this is the perfect unit for you.
2. Amana AMAP182BW
Getting a quality AC is an investment. You don't want to have to replace your AC unit every few years, so it's important to get one that is durable and will last you for a long time. Luckily for you, the Amana AMAP182BW is one of the most reliable RV air conditioners on the market.
It has a heavy-duty construction that can withstand even the most extreme weather conditions. What's more, the AC has been designed for easy installation. You won't have to spend hours trying to figure out how to install it.
The AC attaches to your window easily. Thanks to its universal window frame kit, you'll be able to attach it in just a few minutes, whether you have vertical or horizontal sliding windows. This Amana model has three fan speeds, which allow you to adjust your room temperature just the way you like it.
3. OLMO Mini Split AC
You don't want to sweat the heat ever again? Do you also need something that's easy to clean and that will save you energy? And you have a sizable RV but you don't want an AC that will take up a ton of space? With the OLMO Mini Split AC, you'll get all of that and more.
The compact design of the AC will be a blessing during the hot summer months. It works quietly, even when it's working at full power, so you won't be bothered by any noise. You'll be able to enjoy the peace and quiet of your RV.
Moreover, this unit is very easy to operate. The remote control will let you adjust the temperature and fan speed from anywhere in your RV. You can enjoy all of this at a pretty affordable price.
There you have it. That's pretty much everything you need to know when buying an 18000 BTU RV air conditioner. Before we go, let's do a short recap.
You should buy an 18000 BTU model if:
- You have a larger RV
- You're planning on traveling to hot climates
- You want a powerful and efficient AC unit
There are plenty of options out there, but the ones listed above will serve you well. Do you have any questions? Leave them in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer them.